Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Who can use the service

Who can use the service?

Anyone over the age of 16 is eligible to join the Housing Register unless they fall within one of the groups of ineligible applicants set out below.

Applicants should apply to the register if they wish to rent a Housing Association property in Torfaen. 

For more information on how to register please see the Help page

  • Along with your application form you will be asked to provide the following documents:
  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passports, birth certificates)
  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill)
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

Whilst the Homeseeker Service is available for all, it may not be the most appropriate form of housing for you.  People in low priority bands can often wait for many years before being allocated a property.  If you would like to know what other housing options may be available to you, please complete Housing Solutions Wizard.

Once the documents are received your application will be assessed and placed in the appropriate band from the date the documents were received. See our Prioritising applications page.

Who is ineligible to join the register?

The law provides that certain people who are subject to immigration control may not be provided with housing through Homeseeker and will not be registered. These include the following groups:

  • People with restrictions or conditions on their leave to enter or remain in the UK.
  • People who have entered the UK illegally or who have outstayed their leave.
  • People who are not habitually resident in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland